EV charging stations on the Blacksburg campus
Three electric vehicle charging stations are available for use in the Squires Lot (the lot is located at the corner of College Avenue and Otey Streets in Blacksburg).
How to use a campus EV charging station
- To use a charging station, drivers will need to download the ChargePoint mobile app and sign up for a free account. Details on how to access ChargePoint EV charging stations can be found at the ChargePoint website.
- For detailed instructions on how to initiate a charging session through ChargePoint, refer to this quick instructional video.
- The level-two stations can deliver approximately 10-20 miles of range per hour of charging.
- The spaces are available to vehicles that are actively charging with the use of any university permit or payment through the ParkMobile app.
- One of the charging station spaces is an accessible space and should only be used for vehicles displaying a valid ADA placard or license plate, with a Virginia Tech permit or ParkMobile payment.
- Fees cover operational and administrative costs. To allow access to as many users as possible, an additional fee will be assessed to fully-charged vehicles that have not been relocated within 15 minutes.
- $1 flat-fee plus $0.10/kWh.
- When charging is completed, a $2/hr fee is assessed until the vehicle is moved. There’s a 15-minute grace period before the fee kicks in.
Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The stations are the product of a student-submitted Green RFP project through the Office of Climate Action, Sustainability, and Energy.