Fleet Services will be operating on limited hours. If you need assistance please call Fleet Services at 540-231-6141 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your cooperation during this time.
Check out the video below to learn more about our cleaning practices and tips for traveling safe in vehicles.
** To help minimize the spread of COVID-19, Fleet Services continues to thoroughly clean and sanitize all vehicles in between reservations. If you wish to wipe down common surfaces in the vehicle yourself, a bottle of disinfectant spray and paper towels will be available at the front desk. Customers may also use personal disinfectant wipes if they prefer. **
Do you have any guidance around traveling in cars and passenger vans (face coverings, seating positions, sanitizing/disinfecting)?
Pandemic vehicle occupancy and disinfection requirements:
- When there are two or more passengers, vehicle occupants must wear a face covering at all times while in the vehicle.
- In passenger cars, no more than two riders is recommended (driver and one person in the rear).
- In any vehicle, no one should sit directly behind anyone or in the same row, but rather sit diagonally to maximize physical distancing.
- Please refer to the illustration below for a variety of passenger van configurations.
- Each traveler should be assigned a specific seat. Maintaining the same driver and passenger seat assignments will decrease the need for cleaning.
- Alternate seating positions will help maximize physical distance between vehicle occupants with a maximum of one person per row; for instance, a 4-door vehicle with two rows of seating (sedan or 5-to-6 passenger SUV) can have one driver and one passenger.
The following guidelines are recommended to minimize the potential for transmission of SARS-CoV-2 while traveling with a group:
- The driver of the vehicle is responsible for cleaning and disinfecting high touch surfaces inside and outside the vehicle.
- High touch surfaces include exterior and interior door handles and grips, interior door and window controls, arm rests, safety belts, cup holders, glove/storage compartment latches, air vents, gear shift, center console (climate/audio controls), steering wheel, visors, and rear view mirror.
- Surfaces will be cleaned before and after use and when occupants change position.
Recommended seating for vans and buses:
- One person per row and alternating sides.
- Maximize the movement of air within the passenger compartment of the vehicle using a combination of the vehicle's climate control system and windows so that each passenger is in the vehicle is supplied with fresh, un-recirculated air.
- Researchers participating in field work should be assigned to a specific travel group and remain in that travel group for the duration of the work season/semester, to minimize potential transmission to others participating in the same field research project.
- When fueling the vehicle wear disposable gloves to minimize contact with high touch surfaces. Use pay at the pump options if available.
For more information, please refer to VT Ready Environmental Health & Safety resource page.
Seating for vans:
Seating for buses:
Tucked away on the southeast corner of campus behind Lane Stadium and neighboring the Facilities Complex, the Fleet Services team manages the university’s rental fleet of approximately 200 state vehicles. Employees and students are able to reserve these vehicles for business purposes on a daily or long-term basis.
Fleet Services offers a variety of vehicles and the fleet ranges from cars to trucks and vans to buses.
Vehicle options include small and large sedans, trucks, mini-vans, large vans, and a 36-passenger bus.
Individuals who rent a vehicle must have a valid parking permit to park on campus. Customers who have not yet purchased a permit can request a temporary permit when picking up their vehicle.
Check out all of our policies and procedures at https://parking.vt.edu/fleet-services/policies-procedures.html. Thanks for stopping by, and we look forward to serving all your fleet needs.