Resources for Hokies Traveling to Virginia Tech's National Capital Region
Virginia Tech’s Campus Connect Bus provides employees, students, and their guests with safe and convenient transportation between the university's campuses in the Blacksburg/Roanoke and Ballston/Arlington areas.
The information below is provided as a resource to Hokies traveling to the Ballston/Arlington area where the university has National Capital Region campuses in Alexandria, Fairfax, Arlington, Falls Church, Leesburg, Manassas, and Middleburg.
This list is meant to provide options to those who may be unfamiliar with the Ballston/Arlington area of Virginia and is not an endorsement of any of the businesses listed below. These businesses are privately owned and are not affiliated with Virginia Tech.
Resources located near the shuttle pick-up and drop-off at the Virginia Tech Research Center, 900 N Glebe Rd, Arlington, VA 22203.
- Westin Arlington Gateway (across the street from the shuttle stop)
- Holiday Inn Arlington at Ballston (the shuttle stop is located in the front driveway)
- Arlington Hilton (next to the metro and five to ten minute walk from the shuttle stop)
In addition to food trucks near the metro, the following restaurants are near the shuttle (or between the metro and the shuttle):
- Sweet Leaf
- P.F. Chang's
- Starbucks (in the Westin Arlington Gateway)
- Nando's Peri Peri
- Big Buns
- Chipotle (on Wilson Blvd.)
- Potbelly (next to the metro and another good takeout option)
- Grand Cru Wine Bar & Bistro
- Mussel Bar (if you have more time and looking for a nicer meal, a bit more expensive)
- Kapnos Taverna (Mike Isabella restaurant)
Options to get around town
- Metro, Ballston-MU Station is located at 4230 Fairfax Dr., Arlington and a 10-minute walk from the bus stop. Note that there is often construction, so make sure you check the updates daily or use your phone map apps to see how long a trip will take at any given day or time. Also important to note that trains run slower during non-rush hour times (about 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.) and typically have closer to 20 minutes wait between trains so plan accordingly.
- Uber and Lyft are very popular and easy to use (receipts also get emailed after the ride, so it’s easy to track).
- Taxis are available in the area, particularly in front of the hotels.
- Zipcars are an option.
- Enterprise Rental Car is near the bus stop at 601 N Randolf St., Arlington, VA 22203, easy walking distance, approximately 10 minutes away.