The university operates two shuttles that connect the university's main campus in Blacksburg with the Roanoke campus, where the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute (VTCRI) is located. Buses are equipped with WiFi and bicycle racks.
The service is available on a first-come, first-served basis (at no cost) to anyone with a valid ID from Virginia Tech, Carilion Clinic, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine or Research Institute, or Jefferson College of Health Sciences.
The buses pick-up and drop-off passengers at:
- Three stops in Blacksburg (the Goodwin Hall traffic circle, ICTAS, and Research Building #26 in the Corporate Research Center (by the main entrance to the building)
- One stop in Roanoke (outside the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute, 1 Riverside Circle).
For more information contact Fleet Services at 540-231-6141.
- Passengers should always arrive at the designated shuttle stop at least 5-10 minutes prior to departure time. We adhere to a tight schedule to accommodate everyone wanting to utilize the service. Being at the stop early allows for smooth boarding onto the bus and our drivers to stay on schedule for the next stop.
- All passengers should be standing at the designated stop so the driver is aware they need to be picked up. We also recommend standing a few feet from the curb and waiting for the bus to come to a complete stop before approaching.
- Our drivers are accountable to leave each stop on time and as directed. They will not leave early, however, they must leave on time.
- If a passenger drops something near the bus they should always wait until the bus pulls away before attempting to retrieve the item.
- The shuttle will only pick up passengers already waiting at the designated stop and will not honor “flag” requests.
- People should never run after a bus once it is in motion and has pulled away from the stop. This is dangerous to the person expecting to be accommodated, and as well, dangerous to the passengers already on the bus if the driver has to make sudden stops. Anyone running after the bus will not be picked up. For safety, drivers are instructed to stay in motion once they pull away.