Valley Metro will begin operating the VTCRI Shuttle on July 9th. Stops and times are expected to change.
The new schedule can be found here.
A PDF with the locations of the new stops can be found here.
Valley Metro will operate shuttles that connect the university's main campus in Blacksburg with the Roanoke campus, where the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute (VTCRI) is located. Buses are equipped with WiFi and bicycle racks.
The service is available on a first-come, first-served basis (at no cost) to anyone with a valid ID from Virginia Tech, Carilion Clinic, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine or Research Institute, or Jefferson College of Health Sciences. The general public is required to pay a four dollar fare.
The buses pick-up and drop-off passengers at:
- Four stops in Blacksburg (Goodwin Circle, ICTAS, 1981 and 2270 Kraft Dr.)
- Exit 118 Park and Ride
- One stop in Roanoke (outside the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute, 1 Riverside Circle).
For more information please contact Valley Metro here.
Do’s & Don’ts
- Please do no eat or drink on the bus.
- Be prepared. Please have exact cash fare or your Smart Way tickets in hand before boarding and place it in the fare box before finding a seat.
- Smart Way is a smoke-free environment. This includes carrying a lit cigarette, pipe, matches, or lighter.
- No spitting.
- Please be respectful of others. Disturbing passengers or bus operators by engaging in loud, unruly behavior is not permitted. This includes unwanted touching of individuals, use of foul language, verbal, racial or sexual harassment.
- Help keep Smart Way clean. Please dispose of trash in designated receptacles before boarding the bus.
- When listening to tapes, radios and CD players, please use earphones with the volume set at levels that do not disturb fellow passengers.
- Report vandalism. Defacing Smart Way bus property is strictly forbidden by law.
- Please keep personal belongings on your lap or at your feet. Blocking aisles is not permitted.
- Respect fire safety. Flammable liquid, explosives, acid or other harmful materials are not permitted onboard.
- Service animals trained to assist persons with disabilities are welcome.
- A responsible person must accompany children under the age of eight (seven and younger). A responsible person is defined as one who can directly control and supervise the child.