Pedal-assist e-bikes now available on the Blacksburg campus
NEW - June 7, 2021: Receive a $5 credit with promo code boltblacksburg.
A new fleet of pedal-assist e-bikes is giving bike share a boost across the New River Valley.
In June 2021, the Roam New River Valley (Roam NRV) bike share program teamed up with Bolt to relaunch the region's existing bike share system with a fleet of new pedal-assist e-bikes. The bike share system features 75 e-bikes stationed at various hubs across Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Montgomery County, and Virginia Tech. The fleet will grow to 150 bikes in the near future.
Pedal-assist e-bikes make bicycling a breeze! When you pedal the bike, a small motor engages to help you get up hills and around campus - without breaking a sweat.
How to use
- Create an account using your phone number.
- Enter your payment information.
- Select the Pay-As-You-Go, Daily Ride Pass or Annual membership plan.
- Scan the bike’s QR code with your phone.
- Go for a ride.
- Return the bike to any area hub.
- If running errands or making stops on the bike, do not park and leave the bike on sidewalks, ramps, roadways, or other areas traversed by pedestrians or cars.
- End your ride within the app.
Roam NRV Bike Share riders have a few options when it comes to memberships:
- Pay As You Go: $1 to unlock, $0.15 per minute.
- Daily Ride Pass: $15 per day for unlimited rides and no unlock fee.
- Founding Members plan (available through October 31, 2021): $49.99/year. Includes a waived unlock fee and 60 minutes of free ride time every time you unlock a bike ($0.15 per minute after your free 60 minutes expire).
You can ride anywhere you like with a Roam NRV Bike Share e-bike, but there are some key areas to keep in mind while cruising around.
- To avoid the $50 fee for locking up outside of the system area, you must end your trip within the green shaded area indicated on the mobile app.
- To avoid the $5 fee for locking up outside a hub, you must lock the bike at one of the designated hub locations in the system area.
- As a reminder, e-boost speeds are 15 mph on the Huckleberry Trail and 20 mph in all other areas.
Tips for safe riding
Be sure to bookmark these safety tips before heading out for your ride.